Re: Working and Riding Criteria 5-7 miles (30-40 min.)"Question"

In a message dated 98-08-21 09:56:58 EDT, rabair@dproti.dcrt.dla.mil writes:

<<  Now I'm not so sure. Reason being
 that our "training ground" for our weekday/evening rides consists of
 "suburbia" - you know - concrete, asphalt and rock roads? Therefore, we
 walk and trot - no cantering or galloping - and it takes us about 1 &
 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on which route we take) - not 30 to 40
 minutes. The weekend ride is not a problem, we haul to places where we
 have varied terrain (ie: sand, rocks, gullies, hills, trees/obstacles)
 and go at a pretty good clip. >>

No problem.  I guess I didn't clarify that on that schedule, I was prepping to
campaign for points, and did, indeed, ride a season of 18 rides of which 17
were Top Tens.  One need not ride at the stated speed to be ready to start
completing.  There is no "set" formula, and it sounds like you have more than
made up in your weekend rides for what you can't do in your weekday rides.
Sounds to me like you are more than ready to tackle LD's--in your shoes, I
would start on 50's with that background, but it is a good idea for you to try
LD's first so that YOU can learn the ropes and gradually get a handle on just
what your horse can do.  Go for it, and good luck!

Heidi