trailering long distance

I have lots of proffessional experience  hauling long distance, and have done
it both ways. I truly feel a lot depends on the horse though. If he won't load
VERY well, I wouldn't even consider un-loading. If he is nervous and won't
drink well, he'd probably do well to un-load every 4-6 hours. (make sure it is
a large and safe area though). If you have an important competition on the
other end, or have just finished one, they seem to arrive more relaxed,
hydrated etc. with un-loading 4-6 hrs. In cases of just getting a horse from
point A to point B, they do OK as long as they are taking water every 4-6 hrs.
I have horses arrive after being hauled loose in a trailer straight thru from
CA to Fla, that were just fine, with free choice water.
Also a big plus is electrolytes. The drinkable kind from Buckeye called
Perform N Win are the greatest! Our parade horses were just hauled over the
mid-west during the summer, and they would nicker for their perform N win when
we opened the trailer door! If you have more questions, feel free to e- mail
me.
Becky