Injured horse

I'm posting this for a friend.  Her Arab mare had a bad injury about two
weeks ago.  She got her head caught between a metal gate and fence post
and a piece of metal went into her head at the throatlatch area near an
ear.  She spent the next week or so at the vet's.  Vet packed the
injury, treated with antibiotics, etc.  Beside all the blood and gaping
hole, there must have also been some nerve damage because the mare's
lips are now drooping.  She can drink water and is well hydrated,
however, she cannot graze or eat grain because it falls out of her
mouth.  She is losing a lot of weight and the vet was feeding her
through a tube.  (Don't now what or how.)  The mare is home now but
owner is supposed to transport her to vet's three times a week for tube
feedings. She is offering Equine Sr. to horse now but she can't eat it.
Lady's husband wants her to take horse to another vet for a second
opinion.

Has anyone had an injury like this?  What is prognosis for recovery?
Will she learn to eat again?  Can she be ridden again - hackamore maybe?

Thanks for any info.  I'll pass it along.

Amber