easyboots

>I've used e-boots on one 50 miler and in several training
>rides - the only trouble I had was keeping the vet wrap from
>rolling up/down off the heel. And I wrap practically the
>entire foot and up the ankle some. It gets all bunched up
>right above the boot
>
>Suggestions Karen or anyone else?

Hi Tina:

Funny, I was just privately e-mailing a couple of people about how to wrap
the foot with vetwrap.  I am going to take some pictures from start to
finish of how I put on the boots...with and without the foam.  I think that
will help a lot.  It makes a lot more sense to see it than to just read
about it.

The back heel of the boot should be cut down completely.  It serves no
purpose.  The heel strap can be adjusted several different ways, and if you
are doing a lot of distance in the boots I highly recommend trimming down
the width of the heel strap as well.  I also flatten the metal gripper
teeth on the sides.

Wrapping the foot:  You want to wrap the entire foot.  Don't wrap it tight.
 You should be able to stick your fingers under the vetwrap when done.  I
use other brands besides vetwrap as they are thicker.  You will want to
wrap at least two times around.  Start with covering the heel and wrap
around the entire foot.  Leave an inch or so overlap around the entire toe,
then go over the heel again and wrap upwards the second time around....go
all the way up around the coronet band.  When the boot goes on, the overlap
on the toe will keep the vetwrap from being pulled off and the excess on
top will be trimmed away when you are finished.

Once the boot is on, make sure you pull that heel strap up good.  I like
using a 1" wide strip of nylon webbing.  Pull the strap up even all the way
around. Make sure you don't pull it up over the heel bulb (hair line).
This is where, if you horse has short heels, you need to have trimmed the
heel strap down.

Then you have to adjust the cable properly.  There ARE instructions that
come with each easyboot that specifically show different ways of adjusting
the cable.  This is very important.  If this is done properly, and as tight
as you can get it, you will not lose the boot.  If the boot comes off, then
consider that a learning experience.  You need to learn what you need to do
to make it stay on.  I usually find that I have to step on the buckle to
get it to go down...if I can do it with my hand then it isn't going to be
tight enough.

When done, trim down the vetwrap.  Leave an extra inch or so sticking up
above the heel strap in the back. (maybe only 1/4" around the rest of it)
After using the boots a few times you will learn to do anything different
for your horse to make it work.  The vetrap keeps the hoof wall from
getting scratched and it helps protect the heel bulb.  Some horses heels
are tougher than others and do extremely well the first time out with
easyboots.  Others needs to get used to them more slowly.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville