Re: trailering long distances

In a message dated 98-08-20 03:25:06 EDT, bluestar@xmission.com writes:

<< I will be trailering my horses 1400 miles. I have heard two themes. One is
 let them out every four hours or so, the other, trailer right on through.
 Could proponents of both methods email me privately. One of my mares hasn't
 spent much time trailering and I have no idea how she might re-load if she
 isn't enjoying herself. >>

It isn't a matter of being a "proponent" of either "method", it is more a
matter of sizing up each individual hauling situation and doing the right
thing.  First of all, what are you doing when you get there?  Are you just
moving the horses, or are you expecting them to be at their competitive best?
If it is the former, then the horse can rest and recuperate at the other end.
If it is the latter, then you must know the individual horse and do everything
you possibly can to make the trip less stressful for that particular horse.
Second, what sort of rig do you have?  I would be less worried about getting
horses out with a big stock-type trailer or anything with reasonable space, as
opposed to a tiny two-horse straight load or something.  Third, how long are
you planning to take to go 1400 miles?   Straight through?  An overnight stop?
And fourth, the one thing you did mention, how will the horses reload?  When I
am hauling broodmares, youngsters, etc., I almost NEVER unload, unless I am in
a safe, confined area with help to reload.  I have hauled 2000+ miles like
this, just going in to feed and water, and giving them periodic breaks from
driving.  On the other hand, some of the horses that I ride I could safely
unload at the most crowded truck stop or rest area and never worry.  You have
to factor in all these variables, rather than saying that a particular
"method" is the answer.  Design each trip to fit the reason for the trip and
the individual horses involved.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)