Re: Founder

In a message dated 98-08-18 06:51:05 EDT, akusmich@hotmail.com writes:

<< So, my question is, can an otherwise healthy horse founder once and turn
 out okay.  What do we look for, besides having a vet check if she is
 really interested in him.  Does it mean he will founder easily again
 since he already did it once ....? >>

Foundered horses can be ok, but also are somewhat more prone to refoundering.
They do best if kept in fit condition.  Check the thyroid level--that can
sometimes be a factor and can be corrected if it is.  If you do get this
horse, just keep in mind that he may have a problem with this, and be careful
about unlimited pasture, stick to a very regular feeding schedule, and ride
him as regularly as you can.

Heidi Smith, DVM