<sharon@dolantruax.gardnerville.nv.us>

>I also live in Nevada and the most frequent time we *chase* mustangs is to
>get them out of our yard!

Absolutely right!  When I sent my post I was merely trying to state the the
wild horses that are barefoot are not able to out-go our horses who are
shod and who are sound.  Apparently some of you think I am out there
chasing wild horse herds for 10 miles at a dead run!  Hardly....as Sharon
stated, they are not afraid and often we have to ride right thru their
herds as they are blocking our trail.  Some of them would be too lame to
run far anyway.  It's sad to see some of them hob-bobbling along.  The
babies are sure cute this year!  I have followed along with their bands for
afternoons at a time.  As long as I keep a safe distance away (for me) then
they usually go about their business and don't even care that we are there.
 It's quite interesting to watch how they interact.

There have been a couple of occasions where an endurance horse lost his
rider during an endurance ride and it would end up joining a herd for about
a week or two and run around in the hills.  Eventually (lucky for them they
were geldings) the horses were found, usually with tack on, and usually
beaten up (bites, etc.) but overall in good shape.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville