Re: Is spook proofing possible?

If you can ride your horse with other more confident, experienced horses
that's the best way to teach them.  However, not everyone has someone to
ride with.  That was my situation when I started my young mare on the
trails.  I had done some dressage with her and I found that the
half-halt was quite useful on the trail when she got tense and ready to
fly.  I also spent alot of time walking with her.  Not until she was
calm walking did I consider trotting.  Same thing with moving into a
canter.  If she started acting up at a faster gait then it was back to
the slower one.  Very slow, boring process but now she is trustworthy
when we ride alone.  Just this summer we've encountered burning trees,
an alligator, a rattle snake and a huge barking dog running out of the
woods at us.  The one time she started to spook I just whispered "it's
okay" to her, she planted her feet and squared off to the threat.  I was
so proud but it took lots of time and patience to get to the point where
she is a pleasure to ride.

Karen Gehringer
Ormond Beach, Fl