Barefoot? My Horse? Invite Comments!

>Derringer: "Any mustanger will tell you that most often the wild
>mustang will run away from the domistic shod horse in rugged country.
>The shod horse simply can't keep up over rocks and steep slopes.

Hi Suzie:

I saw this and had to laugh.  I have yet to run across any herds of wild
mustangs that either of my horses, or my friends endurance horses couldn't
keep up with.

Any other Nevada riders care to comment?  I know you are out there!!

We regularly encounter herds of wild mustangs.  Any fit endurance horse
will have no problem keeping up with them and running them until they can't
go any farther (the mustangs, not the endurance horses).  Usually it is 10
miles or less.  And yes, we go over rocks and very difficult terrain,
usually we end up in places where there are no trails or roads. Just rocks.
 It's a lot of fun, if you can handle the adrenalin rush.  (sometimes you
end up pretty far away from home) ;^)  (oh, and sometimes I scare some of
my friends...maybe that's why I have to ride alone so often?)

The only time the horses seem to get ahead of us is when the stallion comes
around and keeps us at a safe distance, protecting his herd.  Some are more
aggressive than others.

btw, it's not often that you encounter wild horses that are actually sound.
(when we encounter the dead ones out on the trail you should see the
pathetic shape their feet are in!)

Anybody wanna come ride with me? <G>

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Nevada
& Rocky who loves chasing the wild ponies!
& Weaver...he likes chasing coyotees and rabbits too!