Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #639

You stated <<< Ah, but there are plenty of wild ponies who are testing it
out as we
> speak..they're called BLM mustangs>>>

But you forget one thing, they go at their own rate of speed, normally a
walk, and they go where they feel it is the easiest to move, not down a
trail through the rocks and over the roughest ground.

The feral horse does not expend any more energy nor tax its body more than
necessary, thus it does not encounter the stress to any part of its body
the endurance horse does.

I have horses in  my herd that have not had shoes for over five years, but
as son as they get into endurance conditioning they will need shoes as the
hoof growth will not keep up with the wear. No matter what the article
said, when wear exceeds growth, shoes are necessary.

Currently I have a long five year old Barb. His feet have never been
touched by a rasp or knife. The feet are strong, well shaped and the proper
length. When he starts into heavy training I am sure the DG in out area
will necessitate shoes. It has for every other horse we have had.

When shoes wear out in four weeks, unshod feet will wear out faster.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net
> writes:
>
> << ild ponies running around still to test
>  this out. :)
>   >>

> Ah, but there are plenty of wild ponies who are testing it out as we
> speak..they're called BLM mustangs, and several people right here on
Ridecamp