Fwd: Horseshoes?

In a message dated 98-08-15 15:55:09 EDT, kjz2@juno.com writes:

<<  horses USED to be shod with full
 shoes (you know, a full circle >>

This is probably true.  I don't know from personal history but I have a friend
who has some of these antique horseshoes.  Full circle and very thick.  His
are draft horse size.  Egaad!

So, this is a good point, if they used to use fuller, heavier shoes this would
have made it hard to keep traction and would also slow a horse down a lot
because I am telling you, these suckers are heavy.

Maybe our "new and improved" horseshoes are the best of both worlds.  Too bad
their aren't more wild indians on wild ponies running around still to test
this out. :)

Lori and Keno (I'm not a brat anymore.  I am starting to be sweet)

---- Begin included message ----
Heard this from a farrier recently - horses USED to be shod with full
shoes (you know, a full circle) until sometime in history when there was
a shortage of iron, so . . . the open end style - less iron - emerged.
Hmmmmmm..... I asked a couple of other farriers - they never heard that
one.  Any comments out there????  Do tell!

Karen

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

---- End included message ----