Endurance & Corrective Shoeing

Does anyone have a horse that competes in endurance rides that stays
sound through corrective shoeing?

I have a gelding that seems to have "ouchy" front feet and I suspect a
"pre"-navicular cause. I made an appointment for X-rays to hopefully
find out what is causing this. I know it doesn't help any that 6 weeks
ago he lost both front shoes during a training ride and we had to
hoof-it back 7 miles, downhill and with lots of rocks. He was really
hurting after that but he really should be completely healed by now.

I really suspect a beginning navicular because he has straighter
pasterns and shoulder angles, lands on his toes, and takes shorter
choppy strides. He has completed one endurance ride (25) and obviously
many training rides. I've also noticed a few times that if he stays
moving he is O.K., but if we stop and talk or rest, he stiffens up and
has to work out of it. This sounds weird to me, but I've noticed it.

I'm wondering if this guy, with corrective shoeing will be sound for
endurance. I'll know more next week.

Lauren