FW: national symposium on horse trails

<forwarded message>

TO:    Stephanie Teeter, Endurance Net
From:    Susan Gibson, Trail Blazer Magazine
Date:      August 12,1998

Stephanie -  Can you post the following notice on the ride camp ASAP?
Thanks so much!!!

_________________

I read the dialog regarding the upcoming "NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON HORSE TRAILS
IN FOREST ECOSYSTEMS"  in South Carolina in October ...and the concerns
about the lack of equestrian representation in the presentations.

I've been talking with Gene Wood (the chairperson) and plan to attend
myself.

I think that perhaps people have assumed that because the "titles" listed
with these presentors/committee persons are related to government agencies
.. they are not horse people.  Not true - most of these goverment agency
representatives were chosen or volunteered to be part of this Symposium
BECAUSE they ARE, in fact, EQUESTRIANS who love to trail ride and are
concerned with the need for the equestrian to be represented in the "shared
trails" focus of most all government agencies who regulate trails. The
chairman, Gene Wood, lists his only recreational outlet as trail riding.
And you can go down the list of most of the representatives and find that
they are indeed equestrians who love trail riding.

SO I think that people have reacted and assumed without getting all of the
information.  This is a wonderful group of committed trail advocates, and
their goals are genuine in helping to preserve, improve and establish trails
that equestrians can enjoy on all government lands. They need to be
supported and commended for hosting a Symposium of this nature.

I will be attending, and an editorial I have written on behalf of Trail
Blazer Magazine and our readers will be published in the program.  The
attendance is very limited (225 maximum), so I do encourage all interested
people to contact the offices ASAP if you want to insure a spot.  For those
who can't attend, I will be publishing the results of this important
Symposium in Trail Blazer Magazine as well as on our website
www.horsetrails.com

"NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON HORSE TRAILS IN FOREST ECOSYSTEMS
email:  donna@strom.clemson.edu
website:  www.strom.clemson/edu

Sincerely,  Susan Gibson, Publisher, Trail Blazer Magazine

_______