Re: Rearing while saddling or tightening the girth.

It sounds like you and your trainer have taken a behavior modification
approach, trying to teach the horse to disregard its possible discomfort.
I would like to suggest a more physical approach and I am hoping you will be
willing to try it and let me know how it worked. I assume that you have had
your DVM check the horse to assure there isn't some medical problem.
The whithers and the girth area are connected to each other. This happens
through the muscles Serratus Ventralis Thoracis, Serratus Ventralis Cervicus
and their fascial connection to the Rhomboids. These three muscles share a
common attachment point on the shoulder blade and as such can transmit
"tension" from one to the other, over time.
Let me develop a possible scenario. Your young horse is not able to collect
himself in his early training, he's heavy on the forehand. The saddle and the
weight of a rider are contributing to his propensity to forehandedness and to
his lack of balance. This causes him to use his Rhomboids to help retract the
shoulder blade, causing it to fatigue. His whithers become sore or sensitive
to palpation, touch. A congested area forms in the tendon causing pain. The
nervous system holds the painful area still "splinting" causing more
congestion, more pain, more splinting. This is called a "pain-spasm-cycle".
The tension in the rhomboids is transmitted over time to the serratus
ventralis thoracis, the grith area, and the horse becomes cinchy. It is also
transferred
to the serratus cervicus which effects the spine. blah blah blah. This is all
a very healthy response, NOT a disease process.
So what do we do? The first step is to break the pain-spasm-cycle. This can be
accomplished very effectively by cooling the area. Put ice on the touchy
spots. The cooling will slow down the nociceptors, pain receptors, allowing
the nervous system to release the spasm. After the ice (suggest one pound
crushed applied to the girth area, the whithers and the area in front of the
shoulder blade by the neck, for 10-15 minutes, covered with a wet cloth).
After this take the horse for a walk in hand for 5 minutes to heat the tissue
up and then stretch the horse, using a facilitated stretch. If you get this
far and are interested I can explain the stretching in more detail.
I would do this of and on for at least 3 applications per time, 15 ice, 5
walk, stretch another 5-10 min, then ice it again. If you can do this twice a
day for three days I think you will see a change in the horse. If you know the
TTEAM compression technique, I don't know the name, that is very good for
releasing the tissue after icing. I can explain that if you are interested.
Of course if the saddle doesn't fit you'll be back here again. And as Linda
suggested if there is a rib rotated that will effect the serratus, they
connect to the ribs on the thoracic end.
good luck and please let us know your results.

jim pascucci
Advanced Certified Rolfer