Re: Corn oil

Kristen L Olko wrote:

> The maximum amount of oil that you can give is 2 cups. What
> size horse is this for? I want to max out my oil supplementation
> for my TB and think that if 2 cups are good for arabs, my girl may be
> able to take more.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kris

Who says 2 cups is the max???  Texas A&M has fed up to 20% of the
concentrate ration in fat with no problems, and I've fed more than 2
cups to LOTS of horses, including little bitty Arabs.  So, calculate it
like this---if you're feeding 8 pounds of grain, you can replace (let's
start with 10%) .8 pounds with corn oil.  .8 pounds equals 1.63 cups.  A
horse normally eating 10 pounds of grain could have 2 cups of oil added
and still be at a 10% fat diet.  The same horse normally eating 10
pounds of grain could get 3 cups of oil, be at a 15% fat diet and still
be fine.  You really don't have to get too worked up over "maximum"
amounts of fat you can add to a horse's diet.

Here are the only things you really have to concern yourself about
feeding fat, 1) always make sure the oil is absolutely fresh, kept in a
cool, dark place, preferably with minimal "head space" in the jug for
oxygen (which will hasten rancidity), 2)  if you're feeding more than
about a cup, try to split the feedings up into multiple meals for
maximum efficiency of absorption, 3) build up slowly, as it takes time
for the body to respond to a high-fat diet with the appropriate enzymes
in the small intestine, 3) keep an eye out for signs that you're
overloading the horse, ie diarrhea.  If he starts getting a little
loose, back off a little for awhile until he adjusts.  Most horses can
handle alot more fat than they're willing to eat---some horses like oil,
some don't.  Corn oil seems to be the most palatable, other horses will
lap up almost anything.  I know one person who happens to own a dairy
and her horse gets BUTTER and slurps it up (and animal fat is just as
good as vegetable oils).  You'll have to play around and see what other
feeds you can mix with the oil to get him to eat it---my first
suggestion is usually beet pulp.

Hope this answers your question?

Susan G