Re: Wendal Robie's Bandos

The *Bandos on your horse's pedigree is not Wendell Robies horse, but a
damn good horse anyway, and a hard bloodline to find in this country.
Who is the horse between *Bandos and yours?

*Bandos, in case you didn't know, was a wonderful and extremely valued
sire in Poland and not for sale at any price for many years.  Finally,
Ventura Farms bought him at the age of 22-23 or so for $806,000 (real
money, not just on paper) and although he only lived and bred a few more
seasons, they never begrudged a penny.  He was truly one of the greats.
His dam Bandola was also the dam of *Bask, and while *Bask was
considered by the Poles to be something of a reject from their breeding
program, *Bandos was the absolute top gun for many, many years, for good
reason.  Most of his offspring are still in Poland and were never
offered for sale/export.  Even though some aspects of their pedigree are
similar, I *personally* prefer a *Bandos bloodline over *Bask any day of
the week, not only just because I happen to prefer *Bandos over *Bask,
but also because while Lasma would have allowed a zebra to breed to
*Bask if the check would clear, mares brought to *Bandos were selected
very, very carefully by people who weren't just looking for a pretty
head and big eyes---so while tastes in individual horses may vary, I
feel a little more confidant that offspring from the Bandos lines were
bred with considerable forethought.  This is NOT a flame at Bask or the
Bask offspring in any way whatsoever, more a comment on the Gene
LaCroix, of whom I am NOT a fan, for multiple, good, and witnessed
firsthand reasons.

I also have a *Bandos granddaughter by the *Bandos son *Zloty Potok and
treasure her and although she is my husband's trail horse and not doing
endurance, is a very good endurance type---tough, big, floaty trot, a
real work ethic attitude.

Susan G