Re: Prejudice against arabians

>RE: Dark days for Arabs.....realize that there's going to be prejudice
>wherever you go, in ANY endeavour, not just horses.
> My best friend has a huge  (16.3 and still growing at 4 years) Dutch
>Warmblood mare  who happens to be a pinto. (she's by Domino). Steffie lives
>and shows her mare in the middle of Paint/QH country. So in the open classes
>she wins only the gate from judges who say, "golllleee, that sure is a big
>paint..." (but boyhowdy, is that mare going places in Combined
>Training.......)
>
>The only way around it is to make a joke out of it. When folks in my neck of
>the woods, who are all TB and Warmblood types, look down on my eeny teeny 15.1
>fleabit grey Arab, when they make those snide little comments, I hit them with
>all sorts of things. For instance,
>"this isn't an horse, it's a very big Jack Russell Terrier". or "When he grows
>up he's gonna be a warmblood". or "when the fleas got at him, they shrunk him
>to this size"
>or "he's really a "My Little Pony" "
. . . ..

>So, the next time someone sneers down at you from the top of their skyscraper
>horse, just smile and shake your head, as if to say, "Well, if I had to
>explain, you wouldn't understand."
>
>Michelle and Jordan (aw shucks, mom-tell them how I roll in my manure.)

And if you ride a gaited horse, such as my Peruvian Pasos, you get to
explain to all the other breed -- AND Arab -- folks that yes, I know my
horse is lame on all four, and yes, we make a point of breaking their legs
when they are born so they swing their legs out like that.  And grin as you
gait away in total smooth comfort ("gaiting is never having to say your
knees hurt from posting . . .").

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky