Re: Arabians and distance riding

Rita Schlim wrote:

> what do the distance riders
> want  or need so they will join IAHA?  The National Endurance ride will
> be held in Calif in the bay area in 1999.  The National Competitive Ride
> will be held in 2000 in Northern Calif.  What can we do to help you
> riders come and compete in these events

My husband & I do not participate in the IAHA rides for a number of reasons.

First, there are very few IAHA sanctioned rides for us near where we live in West
Virginia.  (Either that, or they are poorly promoted.)  We are not willing to
drive across country to attend, and there is little incentive to make these rides
worth our while.

Secondly, the cost of membership in the necessary groups/organization/sweepstakes
nominations are prohibitive.   AERC is expensive at $65.  IAHA is outrageous when
all costs are added in.

Lastly,  I see very little benefit to the participants who are unable to campaign
widely.  Can you tell me what is in it for the average endurance or CTR rider? We
ride geldings - it isn't as though we planned to make a "career record" for them
before breeding them :-)

AERC is the better bargain for us.  They sanction rides that are available to us
in our area.  They established fair rules and safety guidelines for all the
endurance rides that we attend.  There is no "extra" registration fee for each
ride.  Our horses are registered to track career miles for a paltry $10 each
(free if you were grandfathered in like ours were).  Please tell what IAHA can
offer to match this?

Linda Flemmer