Re: Tevis - What happened to?....

> It looks like Caroyln Tucker on her Shayga Arab Stallion, Oman didn't
> make it to the finish line. Is this her second attempt on Oman?

Yes. I think last year he was pulled at Foresthill (poss. for metabolics?).
This year, I heard mention of her having to pull at Francisco's for
lameness (don't quote me on either of those, though).

> Also, I was rooting for Frank Smith and his mule, Lil' Bucharoo. Looks
> like he didn't make it to the finish either. Anybody know why?

What? Nope, Frank definitely finished - I watched his victory lap.
I believe he finished in the top 20.

See:

http://www.calweb.com/~trouble/tevis98/michigan-bluff

For 3 pics of him/mule, under "frank_smith"

> Congratulations to all the RideCampers who did finish Tevis. What an
> accomplishment!!!!

Indeed.

I was driving up there this afternoon, admittedly after very little
sleep, and kept getting misty-eyed at the thought of one horse I
watched canter a graceful, happy, relaxed and healthy victory lap.
And there were LOTS of them doing that - still with BIG trots, still
alert, still willing to "go again".

At least one person told me at Michigan, in reply to my question
about "how's it going?" - "oh, wonderfully. My horse is just giving
me his *all* today. He's wonderful..."

I think that's the magic of Tevis - it's not just "any old
100 mile ride", it's very special and unless you actually
get to experience it in some form, it's something that is
almost impossible to convey.
--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Repotted english person in Sacramento, CA

with Mouse and Provo