Subject: Re: faster walk

*** hi girls!  I'm nicely confused now (normal state of mind.....)
I have a hard time co-ordinating when his front foot is forward and I am
to squeeze.  I was told by my German dressage friend an easy way to do
this is:    follow the natural swing of your legs from side to side, as
if they were rubber, and squeeze accordingly.  This seems to put my
opposite leg squeezing as the horse's leg on the other side  goes
forward.
ie: my left leg touches while his right leg is forward....
Can you explain the dynamics of what is going on, and why squeezing with
the opposite side encourages the hind to go deeper?  Is it encouraging
an extension of the front at all?

By the time I'm following the front to go forward, it seems too late to
squeeze, it is already coming back toward me!!! ugh!

thanks!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab....."ouch! theres bees in my pasture!")
Pt.Reyes, CA
***original messages follow******
Pam Johnson wrote:
> A friend wants to teach her horse to walk faster. Any suggestions
other
> than following other horses who have a fast walk?
As the right front leg moves forward, squeeze with the R leg.  Vice
versa
for the left.  Keep a little contact with the reins to avoid letting the

horse jog or trot.  Follow the horse's movement with your seat (but you
shouldn't have to exaggerate it).  You are encouraging the horse to take

longer strides this way.
Linda Flemmer
------------------------------
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 15:45:23 -0400
From: flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu (Flemmer, Linda)
To: L Eisele <nevadaghostridr@webtv.net>, ridecamp@endurance.net

> Linda. darn, all this time I have been squeezing with the opposite
> leg...right front left leg to encourage an extended walk.  Does it
> matter, which is correct?

Actually, you are cueing for a deper reach with the hind leg that way.
It
isn't wrong, just different.  For somebody not used to doing it, this
cue can
be a little harder as you have to "feel the rhythm"  (NOT a bad dance
movie
quote!) to time the cue.  When cueing on, say, the right front leg with
the
rider's right leg, you have a visual cue by looking at the shoulder as
well as
the "feel".  It's all in the timing :-)
Linda Flemmer