Trailering tips

In the mid-nineties Billy and I had back-to-back thousand mile
years...our best efforts...but it involved a LOT of trailering to other
western states.  I  knew he hated to P in the trailer (plain 2-horse
straight load)  so I learned all the best roadside rests and every 2 -- 3
hours, NO MORE, I'd pull off and get him out.  First thing he did was put
nose down, snort and blow, then P'd!   Sure kept the trailer mats
cleaner.  We'd then walk, graze, drink, do slow loops.  He always hopped
right back in.  I always kept oat hay in front of him and he always got a
treat in the pan (apple, cookie) as a reward for loading so nicely.   If
I should Forget the treat...oh, what a look he gives me!
   One thing I learned the hard way.   I never use the foal doors, never
enclosed the trailer when he's inside.  But, when driving,  that wind
current whips around the rear and hits his large rump muscles. One time
(the time we drove through a blizzard for 40 miles, going to XP in
Nevada, in JUNE) the winter blanket wasn't enough.  He shivered so much,
I guessed later, that his muscles suffered, and the next day his urine
was v. dark.  He had no other effects then or later  but what I do now is
to pin a square of plushy fabric inside his blanket or sheet, over the
rump, and hanging down.   I'd rather have him sweat a bit than shiver
and shake on a long trailer trip.    The dark urine never showed up
again.  Connie B (CA)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]