Re: NATRC

>Sometimes the best way to cover difficult terrain is....unmounted.
>And to
>remain mounted in these types of situations is grossly irresponsible.
>It may be that NATRC rides never include such terrain

The Comp. riders I've met round here are under the impression that they
do much tougher terrain than we do.  Some of the competitors have been
lead to believe this by a few people in the sport who got them started.
They explain our much faster ride times by claiming that we use
"racetrack trails", (as if there's any such thing in the Tennessee Mtns!)

 They were quite shocked to hear that we used the same trails they use at
many races, and that we used the same mountainside at the Pigeon Mtn.
(Longstreet's Charge) race...and of course the winner did it I believe
somewhere around 8 or 9mph.  Of course, if I judged by what is possible
on a training ride, I wouldn't believe it either.  They've never
experienced that "First 10 miles levitation over the rocks" thing.

On a long steep descent like we have at Pigeon Mtn. I consider it
inconsiderate to not dismount.  Even with a crupper, it's hard on the
horse to keep the saddle off his shoulders, without pulling on his tail
for miles.  Just by hopping off on the steepest parts, I feel I help him
out.  On the 100's I've been amazed how little soreness I've felt, and I
contribute it to the getting off and walking lots after dark.  It's good
for the rider too!

Angie and Kaboot

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]