Re: Electrolytes??My experience???????

>  Maybe some horses are basically able to deal with rides without
>being over loaded with electrolytes.Are we pumping to much into
>them or not?????

Same reaction here.  I live in the humid Southeast.  I used to not give
electrolytes until the 25 mile mark.  Then only one film cannister of the
"Ridgeway mix" per 12.5 mi.

I only buy about one salt block (mineral) per year, for Kaboot, 2 Welsh
ponies, and a pony fossil.  When I offer him free choice salt he ignores
it.  When I have ridden him hard and I pour a little loose salt,
electrolytes & the mineral mix (from ABC) in 3 little piles, he sometimes
eats the mineral mix, but ignores the others.  He usually has good scores
on hydration and has had no trouble with any sort of cramping, so I'm
leary of pouring it to him the way lots of people (including vets)
recommend lately.

When I did my first 100 last fall, I used endura-lytes, one cannister
every vet check.

The only time I've ever had a problem was when I used the pink
electrolytes that come from Jeffers or somewhere like that, that I won at
a ride.  He got thumps at 35 miles at the Biltmore 50 with those.

I used Endura-max at the Biltmore 100 this Spring, one cannister
pre-race, and about 1 and 1/2 per vet check.  The temp & humidity added
up to over 130 that day.  It was in the upper 80's and there were 9,000
ft. of elevation changes...would he be even faster if I increased
them?...or is he telling me that he doesn't need it?  I'll admit, after
seeing those horses that got in severe deficit at Biltmore, I felt like
increasing my doses.

Angie & Kaboot (low sodium diet freak)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]