Re: Rain rot and athletes feet spray/powder

TrainerX2@aol.com wrote:

> I have been a lurker up to now. Have never posted before, so I hope I do this
> correctly. I've had a bad case of rain rot and here's what worked for me. BTW,
> it had nothing whatsoever to do with bad management, just hot humid weather
> and a weeks worth of rain. I loosened the scabs with betadine and mineral oil.
> Washed the affected areas with antibacterial soap (daily), rinsed, towel dried
> then applied Tinacin spray between washes. It worked very well. I've since
> used Lotrimin cream on a milder case of rain rot and it cleared up faster.
> Don't know if it worked faster because it was not as severe a case, or if the
> cream works better. I'd also imagine that Neosporin between washes would work
> too. Just my two cents worth. Thanks for allowing me to express it.

The summer of '93 when we had severe flooding (with day after day of
rain), one of my horses had rain rot problems. It took a long time and
trying lots of different shampoos, ointments, medications and treatments
to finally get it under control. My horse's skin healed almost totally -
but not quite. He had a few persistent spots that just didn't clear up,
and five years later, still were hairless and patchy looking. It looked
like a fungal type problem, but we'd tried about everything on it. My
vet said it wasn't ringworm or mange, just a few patches of skin that
were never going to get any better and would probably never grow hair
back, but it wasn't contagious so not to worry about it. She said she
could surgically remove the spots (which were about the size of a
quarter), but I didn't like the idea of cutting into my horse for
cosmetic reasons. Then, when my other vet (who does chiropractic and
acupuncture) was out to do a yearly checkup, I asked him about these
spots. He had a small laser light treatment unit, and he uesd that on
the spots. Soon they seemed to be getting better, so a month later I had
him out again and asked him to treat these spots again with the laser.
That's all it took. The skins healed nicely and the hair has regrown so
well that now you can't even tell where the problem areas were.
Considering my horse had these spots for nearly five years, I was sure
impressed and pleased to finally have them gone!

Ruth