Fwd: AERC Trails Fund

In a message dated 98-07-30 23:14:22 EDT, hikryrdg@evansville.net writes:

<< At the convenbtion this year I suggested we
 establish a "Trust" whereby some of us that have a deep interest in trails
 and have the ability to leave portions or all of our estates to the "Trails
 Trust".  The concept is valid, and should over the years generate thousands
 and thousands of dollars to be used in our war of trail preservation. >>

The national paralegal association I am involved in established a trust but
came to find out that the way they set it up it was not considered a
"charitable trust" by the IRS so folks who wanted to donate money could not do
so and use it as a tax deduction.  If people can not deduct the donation from
their taxes, they are a lot less likely to donate money.

Sooooo, as you are thinking about this you might want to check into how to
make this a charitable trust from the beginning.  This area was not my
responsibility so I did not pay too much attention on what it takes (ooops,
always pay attention) but maybe someone knows an attorney who can give some
pro bono advices on this.

Just something to think about.  :)

Lori and Keno (the brat)

-- BEGIN included message

Connie, Its going to take a little more than passing the hat to deal with
the federal and state bureaucracies.  Today we have decisions being made
regarding our trails by bureaucrats that have no idea what trails mean to
us.  Its going to take a lot of money and a lot of education to overcome
some of the current mind set.  At the convenbtion this year I suggested we
establish a "Trust" whereby some of us that have a deep interest in trails
and have the ability to leave portions or all of our estates to the "Trails
Trust".  The concept is valid, and should over the years generate thousands
and thousands of dollars to be used in our war of trail preservation.  The
new AERC board seems to be taking issues in hand.  Lets hope this one can
be put on the front burner.  Without our trails, we lose our sport.
Backpackers and hikers in this country are eons ahead of us in trail
preservation.  Its time we get with the program, fund our efforts and let
our voice be heard.  Jerry Fruth... Hickory Ridge

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Connie B Berto wrote...
>I have a call in to Doyle Patrick at AERC office...I want to make sure we
>are on the same page about procedures for disbursing from the Trails
>Fund.   I'll post to Ridecamp again when I get  the official word.
>Meanwhile, thanks and a cyberspace HUG to * everyone* for the terrific
>    Item for thought:  how do we keep replenishing the AERC Trails Fund?
>  Can we put our thinking caps on (as my mother used to say) and devise
>some way(s) that will keep the $$$ coming in, so that we can help people
>attend these conferences in the future?   An optional donation on ride
>entries (just what ride managers need, more paperwork (:-(   --) or a
>check-the-box on our annual AERC dues notices?   I'll never forget the
>1997 Reno convention, someone passed a hat around the room and it  soon
>overflowed with several hundred dollars right then and there...and then
>Bob and Julie Suhr quietly added a big cheque... but  in lieu of
>hat-passing, What?   Connie B, AERC Trails Committee Chair

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

-- END included message