Re: Help on beet pulp needed

I have been using the shredded beet pulp for my three year-old stud colt for about 2 months now.  His daily ration is two 2 lb. coffee cans (which is roughly 3 dry lbs.) soaked in water (about 1 gallon to 1 pound) for roughly one half hour (or until it absorbs most of the water).  He also gets about 2 lbs of dry mixed grain which I just throw on top of the beet pulp in his feeder.  He happily eats the beet pulp
without it though. He is just hanging out, growing up, being a horse.... no exercise other than what he gives himself (which is plenty).  I will probably increase his ration when he starts getting ridden again.

It is my understanding from Susan E.G. that you can feed A LOT of beet pulp with no problems as it is nutritionally much more similar to hay than grain. I think she told me she feeds  up to 6 or 8 lbs. when she is trying to put weight on a horse.  My ration is more of a maintenance ration although my colt has slowly put on weight (which I wanted) since I started feeding the beet pulp.

I am very happy with the beet pulp supplement and will be putting the two geldings on it when I get their new paddock finished (one is very dominant and will end up with a two horse ration)..... plus, when I bring my mare and filly off pasture and the weaning starts.... I'll be putting them on it too.  Even when you have to special order it (as I do at $9.95 per bag) it's still a pretty reasonable cost.  I go through
about 2 bags per month per horse at the ration I use.

Good luck!

Kirsten

--
Kirsten Price