AERC DRUG POLICY-RULE

AERC's zero tolerance per certain drugs is admired by most other horse
disciplines, but copied by very few.  The AHSA points to AERC as the
leader in all horse disciplines ie:  non drug induced performance.  From
a public perception standpoint AERC benefits greatly.  Wonderful!

Now to reality, we all know that our non tolerance stand is based only on
those drugs that "test".  That means many substances which we give our
horses, including but not limited to Adequan and other GS's,  various
"alternative therapies", and so on..none that can be tested except for
visual observation...are "legal" to a point since they don't test.  We
did ban the AT's during a ride, but they can be administered after
competition and before entry...on a multiple day ride we see some horses
getting AT between the end of one day and the start of the next. Most
horses get some type of GS during the ride season, many right before or
in between multi day rides.   All we can do is require the horse to stand
for a Vet In before starting the next day.  AERC is not actually testing
the horse that received AT/GS treatment except for soundness.

Personally, I am in favor of the GS's and the have no real problem with
the AT's. However,  I do have a problem with a DRUG POLICY that only
tests in one state.  We have lip service that rides are tested outside of
CA, but I would suspect the numbers are so limited that in the scope of
things they really don't carry much weight.  Hopefully this will
change.....I don't mind collecting and paying the $1.00 Drug Fee at
rides, but I think we need to see real testing.

As to acceptable levels, the most recent policy is a two step procedure.
If a test is positive, the results go to the Vet Committee for their
review and recommendations as to the "effectiveness" of the levels.  If
the VC determines the levels to be of a non effective  base, then the P&G
Committee is supposed to accept this determination and to limit the scope
of their decision and subsequent "punishment".  I am in favor of this
format.

Randy Eiland

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]