re: white line disease

There was an excellent article on this in "The Horse" a few months ago.  The
definitive treatment is to remove enough of the hoof to remove all of the
dead tissue, then use fungicide.  As the hoof grows back things get back to
normal.  If all of the diseased area is not removed things stay bad.  I had
a talk with my farrier about  it a month or so ago.  He has had very good
luck just removing hoof with his nippers and a rasp.  He feels that the
problem is that many vets and farriers are afraid to remove enough, and just
fool around for hours with the Dremel .  Anyway I hope that I never
experience it.  It sure sounds icky.
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu Farm
1140 37th St.