Re: problem with shots

In a message dated 98-07-24 11:30:52 EDT, Carol.Boardman@Dartmouth.EDU writes:

<< I know that one of these days he's going to be blood tested at a ride.  If
it
 were any of my other horses this wouldn't be a problem but this guy is so
 senstive to anything touching his skin that he immediately begins to panic
 thinking he's going to be bit. >>

It all depends on the skill level of whoever has the needle.  Some people
telegraph the fact that they are about to stick a needle in, and others are
good about not doing so.  Linda is right about what she calls the "darts"
method, other than I do not advocate "jumping back"--just make sure your hand
is clear of the needle so that if the HORSE jumps back, you can just stand
there and laugh at him and pretend like nothing had happened, but the needle
is safely buried up to the hub in the jugular vein already.  Most "needle-shy"
horses can't imagine why YOU didn't jump, and will then promptly settle down
and allow you to proceed with the injection.

Heidi