Vermont 100 runner/horse observations

Riders,

As an ultra distance runner with a history of endurance and competitive
trail riding, I find the comparison between the modes of travel
facinating.  I wanted to share with the runners at the Vermont 100 this
year the report about Ali's disqualification, because they are quite
unaware of the rules governing the horses.  I posted part of the report
on the Ultra Running lists, and recieved several comments about how
runners enjoyed being near the horses during the event.  Also, much
sympathy was extended towards the riders who face all the same hard work
and effort the runners do, but are responsible for two!

Here is a piece of a runner's story, that mentions more about the equine
side of the race:

"Then it happened...what I had been waiting for. In the distance I heard

the galloping of a horse.I looked over and saw this beautiful animal
glistening with sweat, breathing heavier than I. This was an
athlete...this horse was running for the win. As time went on, the
horses were very much like the runners. As more horses went by, they
were getting less and less competitive and more interested in just
finishing and stopping every now and then for some clover or grass or
maybe a drink from a puddle in the trail.
Then I met Ali for the 1st time...He was a beautiful, strong animal that

wouldn't let me get by. His rider, a young woman, told me that after
awhile the horses start to think that the runners are other horses and
are racing them. So with the holds for the horses, I was able to get
ahead of Ali and then He'd catch back up to me, etc...it helped the
miles pass by.

 As I entered the 96 mile
station, Gilly ran up to me and asked what I wanted, I got some more
soup, ate it on the trail to catch up to a couple of horses to have some

company on the trail. I pushed up the trail and guess what! It was Ali
again. And as I pushed up the trail one of the riders asked me if I
wanted to pass, but I told her that I was happy to have the company. I
told her that I was fantasizing being escorted by 2 beautiful woman on
horseback to the finish. But then I heard voices, looked back and saw
lights coming, so I asked to pass and when I did Ali tried to keep pace
but his rider put a stop to that by leading him to a clover field. AT
this time I had crested the hill, but still didn't know how far it was,
so I turned out one of my lights and tried to run down the trail to stay

ahead of my pursuers. Pete Stringer and his pacer were the pursuers and
he told me after that He was chasing the light, but when He reached the
horses thought it was just them and backed off. Soon I saw the lights of

the barn and heard the cheers and with a battle cry crossed the finish
line in 19:45, 23rd place."

Looking forward to more Endurance Run/Rides in the future!

Suzi
--
Suzi Shearer
E-mail   4suzi@ibm.net