Re: Fly Spray for Open Wound

Suggestions:

Depending on the location of neck wound:
If not near withers, I would make a mesh mask to fit around mare's
neck to prevent fly contact.  You've probably seen these as fly leg
wraps.

1. fluffy fleece material from fabric store, or cut from an old
equi-fleece saddle pad (clean only). Make one inch borders around the
mesh.

2. smallest, finest guage nylon mesh available (from a hardware store
that repairs screen doors).

3. Velcro closures (3 to 4).

4. Cut mesh square & tailor to fit the neck loosely, but not too baggy.

5. Border with fleece (higher profile or higher nap to prevent fly
entry).  I would use a glue gun, but be careful not to melt the mesh.

6.  Velcro strap closures at each end and spaced down length of neck
wrap.

Should take about 1 hour to knock it out.  Materials?  Maybe $10-$20
depending on where & how you shop.

The disadvantage with fly spray is that if the horse is turned out
during the day, almost all sprays will evaporate under heat & light or
break down, and,
The flies will get at the wound regardless of what you put on it -
flies are motivated, at least mine are, and I have yet to meet a fly
spray that impressed them to the point of leaving my barn.

If there is a repellant product that works for you, you may wish to
apply it to the wrap, let it dry, & then on to horse.  However, check
the label in case it says "do not apply to nylon fabrics."