Re: starting as an adult

I grew up around horses (big draft guys on the farm) and got my first pony as a
4 yr old.  As a teenager I was showing with my father on the "A" circuit but
lost interest in that whole scene very quickly and went back to trail riding at
home.  Years went by, I got married (to a non-horsey man) and had a set of twin
daughters (who grew up totally non-horsey!).  I got back into riding again the
morning before the memorial service for my mother.  Couldn't think of a better
way to honor a woman who adored horses.  I saddled up the old mare and we went
out for a slow jaunt up the dirt road.  I could barely walk to the service
afterwards but I felt good and wanting more.  THEN I learned about competitive
trail and I was hooked.  Looked for a younger horse (and got a great deal on a
pregnant mare - 2 for the price of one!!) and haven't looked back.  This year
the mare and I trying our first endurance ride and I know she'll be just fine -
how I'm going to be after 50 miles in one day is another story.  Her son just
did his first 30 mile drive and came through with great scores.
So sometimes the future of the sport starts with kids, sometimes with adults
who came to it late and sometimes it comes to bring new life to old riders.
What a great sport!!

Carol Bushway-Boardman in Vermont with
Royalton Mayflower and
Morrill Mt. Keaton

>Kat wrote:
p.s.  The future of our sport is not only in the juniors, but in the people who
take it up as adults.  (snip)
--- end of quote ---