Selenium

I'm still not convinced you should
push selenium even if you are in a low area
and your horse'e blood tests borderline unless
you are actually having selenium related problems
(like the mare with poor fertility or a chronic tying
up problem). It is so potentially toxic, and, injections
are more effective in elevating blood levels than oral
supplements,Sagehill is right. But I have seen some awful
abscess scars associated with the injection and we are
by passing the horse's normal mode of controlling what
goes into its body-the gi tract.
Guess I'm so conservative in this because I did recommend
supplementation of 1 mg/day to an Appaloosa in the NJ pine
barrens about 6 years ago-Se deficient area, all feeds tested
were a bit low, was having no real problems but....2 months later,
when I checked back, the owner said "we took him off the
supplement-his mane and tail hairs fell out and he went lame!!"
(not that he had much mane or tail to lose to begin with! ;-)

So, once bitten, twice shy....
Sarah