Re: Selenium

Hi Sarah,

I've been told for years that my area was in deficite, but when we gave
even the recommended dosage, the hooves went to pot.  Now I don't dose at
all.

Then in this month's issue of Equus, I see that we fall on the line,
(Chattanooga, TN)  On one side of the line said "Low", the other side
said "Dangerously High".  Think I'll just let it ride.

Angie

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:33:02 -0400 (EDT) RALSTON@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
writes:
>A word of caution on selenium: not all areas
>are deficient in selenium! Feeding 8 mg/day to
>horses in areas like colorado, wyoming and even pennsylvania
>(!) can result in toxicity: loss of mane and tail hair,
>horizontal cracks around the hooves, and, in extreme cases,
>sloughing of the lower hoof! It appears that Florida and
>Heidi' areas are the most extreme in their deficits. Blood
>analysis is notoriously tricky for selenium-be careful!!
>Sarah Ralston, VMD, PhD, dACVN

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]