Age Questions

Trish wrote:

> 1) The AERC rules stipulate that the horses must be 48 months old to do
Limited Distance and 60 months to do
> an endurance ride -

Being anxious (my guy is only a yearling) I would love to do an LD ride
when he's 4, but my guess is that a "smart" person would never make their
horse do ANY # of miles before he's ready.  So.....

1.  Having read here that "long slow distance" is the best way to
condition, and knowing that there are a number of people on ridecamp who
are raising babies in hopes of endurance, what's the best preparation for a
yearling and up to four for a guy who has very little pasture to romp in?
I've been ponying him and wondering how much would be enough, and not too
much, to help him gain strength and endurance.  He doesn't get tired with a
few miles, maybe just bored, then I find a safe place to unhook the lead
and he trots along behind, or stops to nibble then canters to catch up.
(Breathtaking!!!)
I know logic rules here but what have YOU done?

2.  DVMs - I suppose it totally depends on how it's ridden, but does 25
miles seem too much too soon for 48 month arab's bones and ligiments?

3.  How many 48 monthers are actually doing LD and doing alright (sound
and, what is it, "able to continue"?)

Thanks!

Bambi