hoof angle/soundness

From: kristi
Email: iluvdez@yahoo.com

I have an 8 year old arab gelding who is doing well in CTR's, and I would like to do endurance on him in the near future. My fear (and question) is that he won't be sound enough to do all this BECAUSE until about a year ago he was slightly pigeon-toed; since then, my farrier has been gradually trimming him so he now appears "normal". His knees now make popping (clicking) sounds about 50% of the time, being ridden or not. There is no lameness involved. I've put two and two together and think changing the angle of his hooves has caused the "popping". My farrier is very knowledgeable and respected, with lots of education, so I don't want to accuse him of causing this horrid sound unless I have some knowledge that it may be the case. Has anyone had good/bad experiences messing with their horses' hoof angles? I love my horse and don't want to ruin him!!