Sore foot - help

Hi everyone,

I was just at an endurance ride this past weekend, and my horse is off.  We
got part way through the first loop and he hadn't drank so I stopped at a
puddle (he was sound at this point) slipped in the puddle (lots of clay) and
came out three legged lame.  I was about a quarter mile from the last
checkpoint so I walked him back and called for the trailer.

All I can find on him is a slice cut right where the leg and hoof meet
(coronet band), the tiny cut is about 3/4 " wide, just a small slice but he
sure is sore from it.  When I took him to the vet she said yeah, he is a
little off at the trot.  I asked if he was going to be okay but she didn't
expand on that.  Anyway, if you apply any pressure to the actual cut he
flinches.  I cleaned the area of his sore and it looks like there is reddish
bruising line behind it.  The cut follows the shape of the top of his hoof,
so it is not running up and down, I don't think this will cause a crack
(fingers crossed).  I hope you can imagine the kind of cut I am trying to
describe- and probably not doing a good job of it.

Anyway I didn't get a chance to get back to the vet later that evening with
this concern because my other horse that was competing in the same ride also
and had a mild case of colic after he completed.  So both of the vets were
treating him-tubing/banamine/homeopathic remedy etc.  lots of walking and
just praying he would poop.  5 hours later he did, but in the meantime the
other one forgotten (I'm not sure I understand how I could forget the newest
member of  my family!).

Now back to the first one he is lame at a trot, a little more than just off.
I was going to soak his foot in epson (sp) salts tonight (hoping to draw any
foreign bodies out)but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there
could be possible damage done to the rest of his foot?  Will this have to
grow out before he is healed, I am not sure how serious this type of injury
is.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
Cathy & Ty

PS, If I didn't explain myself please ask me to clarify it.  I wish I could
draw a picture1