Re: teaching a horse to be sure-footed

In a message dated 7/9/98 1:15:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< can't have her wandering on a narrow path. >>
I'm sure you've heard the expression "just do it."  The horse is perfectly
capable of taking itself up or down the trail without you to guide its every
step.  Of course, you must be in control (deciding) what speed and whether you
need to go off the path because of safety issue but in general stay out of the
horse's way.

I know where you're coming from because I used to try to guide my horse's
every step but it got me into more trouble!  Once I learned to relax and trust
the horse would take care of itself I was able to focus on staying out of its
way on steep terrain.

If the horse is wandering all over the place on easy terrain then you need to
work on getting the horse to listen to the reins and focus on the work at hand
... moving down the trail.  Knowing how to get the horse to maneuver under
saddle is invaluable for opening/closing gates or negotiating downed timber,
etc.etc. but shouldn't be used constantly when going down the trail to
determine where it should place its feet.  Many times it seems as though the
horse hasn't seen the rock or rut or tree root so we try to guide it and cause
the horse to lose its balance or stumble.  As long as there aren't any
physical problems (feet too long) the horse will learn to negotiate the
terrain just fine.  Just get out there and do it!

Melanie in AZ