Cupped Soles

In Nancy Loving's excellent book, Go The Distance, she recommends that
the sole of the hoof be "cupped" as to help prevent stone
bruises/injuries. What I don't understand is, if she advocates trimming
to a cupped shape or only buying horses whose soles are naturaly cupped
shaped. Both my farriers say "no way" to trimming and thining the sole
to a cupped shape and I haven't had luck with pads (as the shoes fall
off). What can I do to prevent stone bruises when riding in rocky
terrain?

Lauren