Carbo'simple versus complex

Just a clarification on points raised by
Swigart re: Matthews post

Unfortunately he did not distinguish between
the simple or soluble carbohydrates which are
digested enzynmatically in the small intestine
to produce glucose and other simple sugars which are
rapidly absorbed versus the complex or "fiber" type
carbohydrates which can not be broken down by mammalian
digestive enzymes but are "digested" instead by bacterial
fermentation primarily in the large intestine to produce
volatile fatty acids whioch are readily absorbed and utilized
as aerobic energy sources. Complex carbo are good for the
long haul, simple carbos are good for the short haul.

Sarah Ralston, VMD, PhD, diplomate, American College of
Veterinary Nutrition (enough letters for you, lyn? :-)

PS_And I am still learning-was trying a new electrolyte
regimen on Fling at the NY 100 last weekend, PLUS thought
I'd at least try pushing a bit more grain to her after the first
day to replenish for the second-bottom line-she did
fabulously the first day, second day started out strong
and calm got real excited after 10 miles when she lost
her riding buddy, calmed down only after we caught up
to him 20 miles later, drank like a fish, ate grass at
every opportunity, even ate the 1 lb of pennfield grain
I offered her at the vet check (firts time I  tried this-
wasn''t it me who tells everyone NOT to make drastic
diet changes at a competition-guess it's a classic do as I
say not as I do!!!). Bottom line-came in fine, during 20 min hr
The P&R person (Charlie-thank you again!) noted an
irregular heart rate though it was 58-. Walked her out of stall to
go to trot out-she stopped DEAD, gave a really distressed
whinny/scream and started thumping and had whole
body muscle spasms (mind she had urinated just before
she left the stall and it was CLEAR)
My vet degree goes out the window when it is my own "baby"
Thanks to all who helped-especially the treatment vet, Sand Doug with
his magnets, Philip who helped me set up
my cot in the barn that night (I slept outside her stall just
in case), and so many others.

Fling equilibrated within 3 hours but for about 15 min there I thought
I was going to loose her. Basically Sandy and I decided she went into
acute electrolyte imbalance-not a classic tie up. I blame myself for
pushing too much electrolytes then not supplmenting when I got in
and in making changes at the ride that I hadsn't reallyarn.
At least I learned-I hope. Fling's been fine-even went
out for a short walk bareback last night-she was strong, alert,
her usual self , Thank God.

WE'll try again-this time I'll follow my tried and true advice and
not mess around with new theories/ideas!!

Sarah