Re: Vet charges

----------
> From: Karen Steenhof <steenhof@cyberhighway.net>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Vet charges
> Date: Sunday, July 05, 1998 7:15 PM
>
> Here's a question that will probably stir up some controversy, but some
> friends and I are curious as to what is customary and standard practice
in
> various regions.
>
> When a horse needs to be treated during an endurance ride, should the vet
> (who we will assume is already being paid by ride management and does not
> need to stay longer than already arranged) charge the horse's owner for
> materials only (drugs, bandages, etc..) or also for time and services
> rendered (e.g., the cost to do a rectal palpation on a collicky horse)?
>
> Around here, it seems the ride vets have been charging only for supplies,
> but at a recent ride, the attending vet also charged my friend for the
time
> it took to treat her horse.   I'm sure the vet has the legal right to do
so,
> but we wonder if this is standard practice.
>
> Karen Steenhof
> Boise, Idaho
> steenhof@cyberhighway.net

Ride Management pays veterinarians for vetting the ride.  Any fees incurred
by treatment required is paid directly from the client to the vet and is
the rider's
responsibility.  Most Ride Managers state something like this in their ride
information ....."veterinary services required or requested by riders are
rider
responsibility.  Payment is required at the time of service".  Barbara
Sanches