Rider back problems

I have a disc problem in my lower back. I am 50 and want to get back into
endurance this year in a limited way and into 50's next year. I can ride for
about 15 -25 miles with minor pain while I am riding but about an hour after I
ride I am barely able to walk and am bent over .Any sugestions? I have been to
my doctor and he suggests giving up riding.I can't; Im still alive.
                                                        Ldrider@aol.com