Safety chains

You didn't mention if you had a bumper pull or gooseneck, since you said "chains" I guess bumper pull. There should be a breakaway cable that will activate your trailer brake in the event of a seperation, although I'd hate to be the horse.....
A big trailer could push YOU into oncoming traffic too. Unfortunately it's a lose/lose situation.
Actually, breakaway brake activators are required.
Nancy Mitts