1st time crewing for 100- tips anyone?

From someone that has crewed many more rides, than ridden...

Make sure your riders eat and drink.  I find the picky ones will eat if you
put it in their hands.  If they are just picking, put something different
in their hands.  Don't ask, just shove it on them.  I find most riders fuss
over their horses and don't take care of themselves.  It helps to get
riders comfortable, and distracted (by food) before they will relinquish
horse care.  Then let them direct (giving orders makes some very happy...
;) and you know who you are), but don't let them get up. Ignore any rider
grumblings, and don't take them personally.  They will be thanking you
gloriously the next day, or at 2:00am when they are delirious.

Take care of yourself too.  You will be a great deal more help if you are
not dehydrated, hungry, sunburned, or tired.  Nap when you know you have
the time, etc.  Crewing can be exhausting too... (all that waiting).  Most
importantly, have fun!

Jennifer Layman
Palo Alto, CA

P.S.  I'm no longer for hire... I'm trying to get out there myself. :)