Re: HRM problem

Cheryl Newbanks wrote:
> Hi group!
>
> Lately I've been getting eratic readings on my hrm.  It is pretty new I
> just bought it this spring but it is doing it on both horses.  I wet my
> horse down where the electrodes go, but I think they are still drying out
> and not reading well.  The spots that always worked on Blue (I never had
> eratic readings before), now don't seem to contact him well enough anymore.
>  And Kodi I haven't found good spots yet.  I get good readings on both at
> the walk, but eratic at the trot and canter.  It is like the hr hangs and
> soon as I stop to walk it reads correctly.  Should I try some electrode gel
> like we use on ultra sounds??? Could it be my battery already??  I've only
> used it about 15 times.
> Cheryl Newbanks

Hi Cheryl,

using a HRM for 6 yeras now I think to be able to help you.
I guess that your transponder is bouncing a bit. I had similar problems when
mounting a drinking bottle near the transponder. In the walk there is not so
much motion but when troting or cantering the bottle bounces and so caused the
transponder to give erating signals.
Try to fix the transponder and make sure to have a good contact at the
electrodes (I am not sure if you need electrode gel because at my horse the
contact works well without any gel or water, just by normal sweating - even when
the horse has its wintercoat!).

Greetings from Germany,

Wolfgang + NINJA 11 (who wanted to show the french endurance riders how to
compete last weekend at Nancy, but the German National Federation failed to
transmit our entry to the French National Fed. - as a result we did nearly 1000
km driving for nothing!!)