Re: Bermuda question

Bierstedt@aol.com wrote:

> I have a book on horse feeding and nutrition that says Bermuda hay can vary
> from 6% to 16% protein. Does anyone know what percentage protein the Bermuda
> is (generally) that we get here in Southern California?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Karen B.

I ran a couple dozen trials on bermuda hay this past spring, all from
the So Cal area, different crops, all pretty typical hay---neither
trashy nor truly spectacular.  Though this could not be considered a
statitically viable result (unless you're publishing for NRC, in which
case 2 samples are considered valid data), they were all in the
neighborhood of around 11%, give or take 1% either way.  Calcium
averaged around .36%, phosphorus averaged .28%, energy averaged 1.97
Mcals/kg on an as-fed basis.

Hope this helps.

Susan G (geez, I gotta get a life)