Re: Big bone vs small bone

To make your point though you won't be able to use your youngsters.
You'll have to take an unfit 8 or 9 yo and measure before and after
conditioning. Our guys put on half a hand and thickened up
considerable in their 5th year. By which time most of us are doing
plenty of LSD.

---CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-26 01:07:10 EDT, niccolai_m@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << The
>  dimensions you give indicate a circumferential measurment which would
>  include tendons. It is possible that the increase in measurement is
>  due to the strengthening by increase in tendon diameter rather than
>  bone diameter. A better measure of bone size would be to use calipers
>  to measure the width of the bone. >>
>
> Yes, this measurement does include tendons, and likely has a
contributory
> factor from both increase mass of the soft tissues as well as
increase in the
> actual bone.  The calipers are a good idea--will have to wait for
another
> generation to grow up and go to work, I guess.  I DO think that the
bone has
> increased, though--it certainly looks different visually, and I have
felt that
> I have observed this in other older endurance horses, too.  Will
take your
> suggestion on the calipers, though, and start measuring my youngsters.
>
> Heidi

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA