Re: Big bone vs small bone

---CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> You make some good points, Nicco.  The other variable that is not
considered
> here, and has to be looked at physiologically rather than physically
is the
> horse's own metabolic ability to remodel bone in response to stress
and
> produce stronger bone.

I thought I covered that under adaptation but I see I neglected to
mention change in geometry as well as strength.

>.....an appreciable number of
> racehorses still break down, despite (or because of?) less bone.
Granted,
> many of these went to the track too soon in their conditioning
programs or
> were run in the face of pending injuries, but how much did the lack
of bone
> contribute?

I thought that bone failure in track horses can be directly attributed
to poor conditioning and loss of form leading to higher than normal
the horse looses form the mathematics of the mechanics makes failure a
high probability. Most failures I've seen of tendons also point to
lack of condition as a cause. However I'm willing to admit that I may
be all wet here, not my balliwick.

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA