Re: Lon Lewis quotes and my final reply tto ti

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:38:57 -0400 (EDT), RALSTON@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
wrote:

>No, my dear. You just did not give details as to amounts until much later and
>had started off bragging about feeding over 20 lbs of grain to your racehorses.

This is the point at which I joined the discussion.  In part because
those same posts suggested that endurance horses are underfed and that
they are underfed because we aren't competitive and are resistant to
innovation, and in part because I believe that feeding programs
developed to enhance short sprinting ability are not necessarily
appropriate to long distance ability.  I believe that feeding the
amounts of grain (proportional to body weight) that Tom uses for his
racehorses would be, at best, counterproductive for endurance horses
(and, at worst, potentially dangerous).

Anyway, you and Heidi are far more knowledgable about the science than
I, and have explained it much better.  Thank you.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net