Re: Carbs -Water/comparison

 I don't know about that. Certainly hydration can be a major
>problem in
>endurance, but carrying around an extra 100 lbs can be too.

So, you think that by feeding primarily hay I can get my horse to carry
an EXTRA 14 gallons?  Do you hear that down in Georgia, Mrs. Somerall.
Forget whether he'll drink the first 25 miles, just feed more hay!

>But tucking is just a muscle tightening up with speed work--same as
>would
>happen with me if I started doing 100 situps a day.

So, why doesn't Pierez look as tucked as the average $1,500 claimer.  Is
the claimer more fit?

>I'm not against water, but there is a partitioning problem. Where the
>body
>wants water is in the circulatory system, not in the gut.

So I guess you like to see a horse hooked up to IV's to cut the middle
man?

> >Some things just aren't of equal importance in the two sports.  To a
> racehorse, big bone is big weight, that's why they've bred it out of
> them.>
>
>Big bone is soft bone.

Hear that everybody?  You can stop bragging about your 8" cannon bones
now.

>>  Big feet means big weight on the end of a pole (bigger weight) so
> they bred it out.>
>
>We (my trainers) always go for increased hoof mass.

Good for you.  Where DO you find racing plates bigger than size "00"

>Nope. Big gut means unfit horse and lax muscles.

Does this mean you prefer a horse that is smaller in the loin than in the
girth, contrary to Courtney's model for endurance?

> >Perhaps that is why Heidi has her hindgut fixation.  People who go
>on
> long trips should always carry water!>
>
>No problem there--but on the athlete?

Depends.  Do you consider endurance horses athletes?

Angie

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]